SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Here's my new follow-up with my thoughts on how to "fix" Sonic:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/12/ ... -back.html
User avatar
lordofduct
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: West Palm Beach

by lordofduct Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 am

I want to continue what i said before by saying yes I like Sonic Adventure (for sonic) but would be thrilled to have an old school feel to it again.

I've dreamt over the last couple years of a... i guess you call 2.5D... look to the game. Where as sonic is stuck 2D, but in a 3D world and when the game decided it turned the angle of the camera; similar to that of Contra: Shattered Soldier on the PS2 (don't know who has played it, but it is Contra fuckin' BLISS... PLAY IT! The learning curve is steep, but the pay off is amazing. I can beat it with out dying and with perfect scores all through. Awesome game.) Anyways and holding to the original Genesis game abilities with one added feature.

I saw it in the Sonic CD cinema... Sonic supporting himself up on a rock by one hand and looking off into the distance and then sonic later jumping on enemies and riding them about tearing them to shreds and having them smash into eachother.

You can see what I mean here

I wanted that in gameplay in the manner of the ability to grab things. Some enemies were heavier and dragged you about, others where light and you could carry them around and throw them about. Then a third type that were medium weight that you either carried or were dragged by (like flying bees that would fly you over large gaps then you jump from it flinging it at a mass of enemies and landing on another bee to drag you further). I actually started writing code for a game on the Torque 2D engine (that can utilize 3D polys for graphics) with the help of my friend. He lost interest in the Sonic aspect (not a fan) and we went with a different looking character. And then my parents died and I just fell out of coding it all together.

I hope to pick it up some day again. But meh, it'll never be sonic. My buddy just won't draw those kinds of models for me. He likes bleaker terrains and feminine heroes. His shit is amazing though... oh God does he do some beautiful work!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
User avatar
Zork
32-bit
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Huntington, WV

by Zork Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:31 pm

You know it makes you wonder, if Sonic Xtreme ever came out do you think the Sonic situation would be different today? For some reason I think it would be, and I think it would be for the better. Something about that game makes me think that if it did come it everything would be different.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Zork wrote:You know it makes you wonder, if Sonic Xtreme ever came out do you think the Sonic situation would be different today? For some reason I think it would be, and I think it would be for the better. Something about that game makes me think that if it did come it everything would be different.


From what I've heard about it, it was probably a good thing it didn't come out.
There was too many people with different opinions and no clear vision.
User avatar
Zork
32-bit
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Huntington, WV

by Zork Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Well, I should've probably explained what I meant a bit more. Like the way it was originally supposed to be. Without all the bickering between Sega of America and Japan and differing opinions between developers and Naka's stinginess. But then again, if things were that way, Sega might still be in the hardware buisness. *shrug*
User avatar
metaleggman
128-bit
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:21 pm

by metaleggman Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiG36mJKxu0
Have you guys seen this. All of it is true and more. Well, once SEGA gets Sonic Wildfire (yes, that should be the name, secret rings SUCKS) out, Sonic will be back to it's true form, Fast, flashy, and fuckin A!
Image
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:25 pm

metaleggman wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiG36mJKxu0
Have you guys seen this. All of it is true and more. Well, once SEGA gets Sonic Wildfire (yes, that should be the name, secret rings SUCKS) out, Sonic will be back to it's true form, Fast, flashy, and fuckin A!


Wow -- never saw that episode!
Pretty cool -- I'm glad I'm not that only one that think Sonic shouldn't talk...
User avatar
metaleggman
128-bit
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:21 pm

by metaleggman Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm

racketboy wrote:
metaleggman wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiG36mJKxu0
Have you guys seen this. All of it is true and more. Well, once SEGA gets Sonic Wildfire (yes, that should be the name, secret rings SUCKS) out, Sonic will be back to it's true form, Fast, flashy, and fuckin A!


Wow -- never saw that episode!
Pretty cool -- I'm glad I'm not that only one that think Sonic shouldn't talk...
ya...though the cartoons weren't that bad. Nor the VA on SA2. Then again, it was my first 3D game so I may be a bit biased towards it.
Image
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm

metaleggman wrote:Nor the VA on SA2. Then again, it was my first 3D game so I may be a bit biased towards it.

....what?
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests