IGN's Dreamcast Section Revival

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Zork
32-bit

IGN's Dreamcast Section Revival

Post by Zork »

Ok I'm pretty sure when IGN started this whole farce up that the news was circulated on all Sega sites that had a soul...hell it was news that had to do with Sega, kind of. After months of teasing and goofing around I'm pretty sure they noticed their audience has left them as the section hasn't been updated in over two months I think. I remember them talking about how their goal was to make the Dreamcast look awesome or whatever but in my opinion they FAILED. Their retroviewing was completely retarded and it actually reminded me of what was mostly wrong with X-Play, the updated reviews were littered with bad jokes and random stupid statements. On top of all this their whole Club IGN thing surfaced about the time this was announced and they had a couple of Sega related blogs, of course both of them were massive jokes, one was about Seamen and was actually slightly amusing but the other one was called Dreamcast 2 and it was filled with random stupidity as well, and in my opinion, I believe they were making fun of Sega fans with this terrible excuse for a thing about "letting others know what they've missed out on".

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not really telling them to be Joe serious or anything about this...but it just seems insulting to any Sega fan with a brain. They had a chance to turn this into something pretty cool and completely ballsed it up. I don't know about any of you guys but this has been on my mind a while and I'd like to get your thoughts on this.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, they have been a joke.
My story about Trigger Heart being announced was submitted digg about 10 hours before theirs and somehow theirs got promoted to the homepage with only a small paragraph.

I at least had a screenshot, video clips, and links to reviews of the game.

But I'm not bitter.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I just checked the section today also and saw they still haven't done a new review past Power Stone 2. To hell with this.
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

Also you're not really helping a console's image if you re-review most of the not so stellar games. :roll:
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zork wrote:Also you're not really helping a console's image if you re-review most of the not so stellar games. :roll:

They were just randomly picking them, and I think half the titles they reviewed are some of the good ones.
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

Mozgus wrote:
Zork wrote:Also you're not really helping a console's image if you re-review most of the not so stellar games. :roll:

They were just randomly picking them, and I think half the titles they reviewed are some of the good ones.
They had some good ones here and there but the volume of not so good ones outweighed the good. But thats my opinion. I don't really take to heart what they say anyway about most games, it seems they care more about whether or not a game is high profile, part of a respected series, or has very good presentation. Some of their reviews are pretty whacked out.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zork wrote:They had some good ones here and there but the volume of not so good ones outweighed the good. But thats my opinion. I don't really take to heart what they say anyway about most games, it seems they care more about whether or not a game is high profile, part of a respected series, or has very good presentation. Some of their reviews are pretty whacked out.

At least they ranked Armada and SF Rush 2049 fairly high. SF maybe doesn't deserve 4th, but it does rank high for me. And Armada took a lot of mediocre scores at the time. I just love that game.
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

Rush is fun and what little I did play of Armada I liked, so I'm happy for Armada. I've just gotta get my own copy when I can now.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

Yeah, It looked really cool when it started, even joystiq was tracking the updates and estimating how long it would take them to review the whole DC catalogue at the pace they had, and it only lasted like 3 weeks