Questions regarding the Dreamcast & Backups.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Vhaeos
8-bit

Questions regarding the Dreamcast & Backups.

Post by Vhaeos »

Well, I've been thinking about getting a Dreamcast lately. However, I've got a few questions that I can't seem to anwser via searching. (Here or Google.) Sorry if these questions have been anwsered here, I haven't noticed it. Anyway, I was reading the the Dreamcast is able to play backups without any modding. However, I also read that you'll have to mod the console if you hope to play games that're of a different region. Any truth to this? Maybe a way to patch the game? Also, does anything special go into getting a burnt game to run on the Dreamcast? (Besides the stuff detailed in the Guides here at RacketBoy.) Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the help section. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it's a question that's been rehashed quite a few times. =)
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Questions regarding the Dreamcast & Backups.

Post by racketboy »

Vhaeos wrote:Well, I've been thinking about getting a Dreamcast lately. However, I've got a few questions that I can't seem to anwser via searching. (Here or Google.) Sorry if these questions have been anwsered here, I haven't noticed it. Anyway, I was reading the the Dreamcast is able to play backups without any modding. However, I also read that you'll have to mod the console if you hope to play games that're of a different region. Any truth to this? Maybe a way to patch the game? Also, does anything special go into getting a burnt game to run on the Dreamcast? (Besides the stuff detailed in the Guides here at RacketBoy.) Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the help section. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it's a question that's been rehashed quite a few times. =)

Simple answer: yes -- backups work without mods.

Backups are basically region-free. You only have to mod the console if you play import originals (or use a boot disc).

Nothing special outside of those guides to burn nowadays. Everything needed is usually packed right into the game image
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

DC can play CDr games and homebrew out of the box and nowadays you'll hardly find something that needs a bootdisk, you will need one for imports though