SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

Getting Saturn 4 in 1 Action Replay to boot import stuff

by baphomet_irl Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi, I recently got an Action Replay 4 in 1 for my Saturn, as its not chipped and I dont know anyone over here who still chips them

(and im useless with a solder)

I recently emm acquired Radiant Silvergun (JAP), and I'm wondering how in the **** do I get it to work?

I was under the impression that there'd be a menu at bootup on these Carts that would say - 'JAP Mode/USA Mode/Europe Mode' -

but there isn't :s

Is it that the Cart makes it region free? so I should just go 'play game' from the cart menu?

When I loaded up the RS disc I got that extremely depressing 'audio CD' menu :'(

Any help is much appreciated,

BaphomeT

PS I also have to say that aesthetically, that cartridge is the ugliest thing ive ever seen lol
User avatar
metaleggman
128-bit
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:21 pm

by metaleggman Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:03 am

The cart doesn't play back-ups if thats what you are wondering. It allows for imports and thats it, with the addition of extra ram and memory and the like if it says it on the box. You get to the audio menu when you imput a burned CD w/o the chip installed :(
Btw, you cannot actually use the cart as a memory card. Its more like a back up, where you can copy things in and out from the system memory, as none of the games I have played recognize mine as a mem cart. Anyone else have this problem?
Image
User avatar
lordofduct
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: West Palm Beach

by lordofduct Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:09 am

Metaleggman hit it on the head. You don't have to do anything to get it to play imports, just start the game through the game start menu in the AR+. Though 'some' models (especially US gamesharks) require you to hold down A+B+C when you press start at the 'start game' menu.

also, I mod systems, have for a long ass time. No guarantees though on Saturns... you throw me an unmoddable saturn (especially a model 1) I ain't saying I'm gonna get it to work. I WILL do the chip modification to get it to work on Model 1s (as described on SegaXtreme a few years back), but like I said it is a 50/50 chance.

Oh and chips don't enable import play... only back up play. You'd need a Region switch installed on top of a chip. And if you live in Europe you might also want a 50/60 hz switch. I do both as well.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Zalphier
24-bit
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:39 pm

by Zalphier Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:43 am

I was quite depressed when I found out you couldn't save directly to cart. Being one with no battery at the time, I have to turn the system off and on real quick, and switch while memory is still there...
User avatar
lordofduct
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: West Palm Beach

by lordofduct Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 am

Zalphier wrote:I was quite depressed when I found out you couldn't save directly to cart. Being one with no battery at the time, I have to turn the system off and on real quick, and switch while memory is still there...


I used to have the SAME problem all the time. That battery would die so fast... so I created a rechargeable battery for it using a portable phone battery and some resistors. Worked REALLY well. It's documented on SegaXtreme somewhere.

that thing in the lower right corner is it in this picture, the board is a bit larger as I incorporated region switching and 50/60hz switch into the circuit board.

click to enlarge:
Image
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

by baphomet_irl Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:02 pm

lordofduct wrote:Metaleggman hit it on the head. You don't have to do anything to get it to play imports, just start the game through the game start menu in the AR+. Though 'some' models (especially US gamesharks) require you to hold down A+B+C when you press start at the 'start game' menu.

also, I mod systems, have for a long ass time. No guarantees though on Saturns... you throw me an unmoddable saturn (especially a model 1) I ain't saying I'm gonna get it to work. I WILL do the chip modification to get it to work on Model 1s (as described on SegaXtreme a few years back), but like I said it is a 50/50 chance.

Oh and chips don't enable import play... only back up play. You'd need a Region switch installed on top of a chip. And if you live in Europe you might also want a 50/60 hz switch. I do both as well.


apparently my wife has a solder so I might have to get that out i suppose ;p

I actually have two saturns - one of them i think is optimised for 60hz output already - thou not with a switch :s

i dont use it cos it chops the bottom out of some games (no matter what aspect ratio I choose on the tv)
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

by baphomet_irl Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:03 pm

metaleggman wrote:The cart doesn't play back-ups if thats what you are wondering.


Im presuming Radiant Silvergun aint exactly cheap? :p :s
User avatar
lordofduct
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: West Palm Beach

by lordofduct Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm

legite copies are outrageousily priced. You'll pay atleast 100 US dollars if you're lucky. I've got a backup of it on my server... by this weekend the FTP site will be up and running.

YEY! Only be warned, there will be a cap on the upload speed. I'll probably give it around 80-100 kilobits/sec shared across all active users. So if you're the only guy on you'll get about 10-12 KBytes per/sec download speed (given no packet loss). hey I still have to be able to game online! In off times (I'll set a time schedule into the server) I'll up the upload speed to more like 400 kilobits, but that'll only be when I'm not home using it. The schedule will be included when I post it.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm

lordofduct wrote:legite copies are outrageousily priced. You'll pay atleast 100 US dollars if you're lucky. I've got a backup of it on my server... by this weekend the FTP site will be up and running.

YEY! Only be warned, there will be a cap on the upload speed. I'll probably give it around 80-100 kilobits/sec shared across all active users. So if you're the only guy on you'll get about 10-12 KBytes per/sec download speed (given no packet loss). hey I still have to be able to game online! In off times (I'll set a time schedule into the server) I'll up the upload speed to more like 400 kilobits, but that'll only be when I'm not home using it. The schedule will be included when I post it.

I assume this will be going in the site's download section?
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

by baphomet_irl Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 pm

lordofduct wrote:legite copies are outrageousily priced. You'll pay atleast 100 US dollars if you're lucky. I've got a backup of it on my server... by this weekend the FTP site will be up and running.

YEY! Only be warned, there will be a cap on the upload speed. I'll probably give it around 80-100 kilobits/sec shared across all active users. So if you're the only guy on you'll get about 10-12 KBytes per/sec download speed (given no packet loss). hey I still have to be able to game online! In off times (I'll set a time schedule into the server) I'll up the upload speed to more like 400 kilobits, but that'll only be when I'm not home using it. The schedule will be included when I post it.


so when u say backup you mean like its a 'pure' one that should work with the cart?

if it is that would be very cool if i could download that man

:)
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests