SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
baphomet_irl
128-bit

SEGA and Nintendo love-in

by baphomet_irl Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 pm

from Destructoid:

Next up is something that addresses the SEGA-Nintendo relationship. SEGA apparently moved a significant number of their PlayStation 3 development staff to work on Wii titles over the summer. Does anyone else here not find that surprising?

I think it's good to see the old school console people united :p
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: SEGA and Nintendo love-in

by racketboy Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm

baphomet_irl wrote:from Destructoid:

Next up is something that addresses the SEGA-Nintendo relationship. SEGA apparently moved a significant number of their PlayStation 3 development staff to work on Wii titles over the summer. Does anyone else here not find that surprising?

The last collaboration I know of is F-Zero GX -- good stuff!
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 am

Ive become Gay for the next version of Sonic on the Wii. Even if they changed the name from awesome( SONIC WILDFIRE) to craptastic(Sonic and teh Seceret Rings(or some such garbage)) its one of the few games Ive been actually anticipating.
durkada
64-bit

Re: SEGA and Nintendo love-in

by durkada Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:55 am

baphomet_irl wrote:from Destructoid:

Hopefully the new Monkey Ball will take good advantage of the WII controller.

I don't find it too surprising. I suspect its presently cheaper to develop for the WII -- given that the games will be inherently less detailed and the system itself is fundamentally an improved Gamecube -- its probably easier to crank out titles for it.

Of course, this whole thing can hurt Nintendo in the long run. The traditional model of game development is to design and build for the most powerful platform, and then port downwards to the lowest. This can get painful in the future, as the gulf between the highest rungs and the WII is pretty immense. Many games probably won't even get ported.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

by baphomet_irl Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:06 am

yes, although if soulless bastards like modern-day EA can even put interesting gameplay into Madden for the Wii, then maybe there is hope :)
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:41 pm

I just bought an F-Zero AX card from the arcade today. Nice stuff!

I always love buying Sega arcade cards because the artwork is different on each one and they always look so nice ;).
Dr. J

by Dr. J Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm happy about this. With the exception of Virtua Fighter and a few others, all of Sega's classic franchises would work wonderfully on the Wii. The new Sonic does indeed look awesome; finally, just Sonic running from point A to point B without any aggravating exploring or adventure zones in between. And I know they have to be cooking up something lightgun-wise...
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 pm

Cerulean wrote:Ive become Gay for the next version of Sonic on the Wii. Even if they changed the name from awesome( SONIC WILDFIRE) to craptastic(Sonic and teh Seceret Rings(or some such garbage)) its one of the few games Ive been actually anticipating.
Thats what I thought, what a gaytastic name. I think that since SEGA has some good people with them, they just gotta use it right. F-Zero GX rocked, while billy hatcher and the new slum of sonic games were quite lacking...they were alright, though they weren't as good as they could've been, though sonic's DS outage was a nice suprise. This really just means that they will make some more good games, and not the same mistakes over and over again like I believe "sonic the hedgehog" for 360 and PS3 will be...
Return to Sega