SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
s8n
128-bit

Dreamcast Light Gun works with PAL Confidential Mission ?

by s8n Sun May 03, 2009 11:02 pm

hi team , can anyone tell me if the PAL or JAP Official Dreamcast Light Gun works with the PAL version of Confidential Mission ?

any tips are sweet

s8n
Hateshinai
128-bit

Re: Dreamcast Light Gun works with PAL Confidential Mission ?

by Hateshinai Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 am

I got the game (both PAL and NTSC) so I can answer your question.
The PAL gun will work with the PAL game. The Japanese gun will not.
Basically the gun and the game will only work if they both originate from the same region. The console's region does not matter surprisingly enough.
Mostly harmless
equalsign
Next-Gen

by equalsign Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 am

Hateshinai wrote:I got the game (both PAL and NTSC) so I can answer your question.
Basically the gun and the game will only work if they both originate from the same region. The console's region does not matter surprisingly enough.

No offense, but I'm not sure that's correct. All Dreamcast peripherals are region free. Also, there is no difference between the offical light gun released in Europe and Japan as far as I know. The NTSC versions of the Dreamcast's light gun games (with the exception of Virtua Cop 2 in the Sega Smash Pack) were specifically made to not recognize the official Dreamcast light gun, but I'm pretty sure games from the JAP and PAL regions were left alone entirely.

I myself have PAL copies of Confidential Mission and House of the Dead 2 and two official Dreamcast light guns. One of them came from Europe and the other one was from Hong Kong. I assume the Hong Kong one was from Japan, and it has given me no problems. I have heard of others having similar experiences. If anyone could confirm, that would be great.
Looking for Animal Crossing e Reader cards! - link
synapse
16-bit

by synapse Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 am

I have japanese, american and PAL DC games and peripherals and honestly, americans are the only ones causing trouble ;)

My light gun I bought from the UK works perfectly with japanese Death Crimson OX and House of the Dead 2. An american light gun I tried didn't.
Hateshinai
128-bit

by Hateshinai Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 am

equalsign wrote:
Hateshinai wrote:I got the game (both PAL and NTSC) so I can answer your question.

No offense, but I'm not sure that's correct. All Dreamcast peripherals are region free. Also, there is no difference between the offical light gun released in Europe and Japan as far as I know. The NTSC versions of the Dreamcast's light gun games (with the exception of Virtua Cop 2 in the Sega Smash Pack) were specifically made to not recognize the official Dreamcast light gun, but I'm pretty sure games from the JAP and PAL regions were left alone entirely.

I myself have PAL copies of Confidential Mission and House of the Dead 2 and two official Dreamcast light guns. One of them came from Europe and the other one was from Hong Kong. I assume the Hong Kong one was from Japan, and it has given me no problems. I have heard of others having similar experiences. If anyone could confirm, that would be great.

My NTSC Confidential Mission and Death Crimson Ox refuse to work with my official PAL Dreamcast gun. I am sure of that because it made me swear like a maniac. It states something about needing a Japanese gun whenever I try. Taht happens on both PAL and Japanese consoles.The PAL version of Confidential Mission works without problems.
no such problem with Virtua Cop 2 though.
Mostly harmless
Niode

by Niode Mon May 04, 2009 2:22 pm

The PAL or JP gun will work with both the PAL and JP versions. Regardless of the region of your console.

Question answered.

Hateshinai, you are referencing NTSC games, which I assume are US region, not NTSC-J, this is causing you the problem but it's also adding to the confusion.

Official guns don't work on NTSC-U games

All peripherals for DC are region free

I believe it was something along the lines of Sega covering their back over the columbine massacre. They didn't want to be sued for promoting gun violence, therefore blocking the use of official light guns in the NTSC-U versions of the games. However, Mad Catz did release a gun that actually worked with all NTSC-U light gun games.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
synapse
16-bit

by synapse Mon May 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Niode wrote:The PAL or JP gun will work with both the PAL and JP versions. Regardless of the region of your console.

[...]

They didn't want to be sued for promoting gun violence, therefore blocking the use of official light guns in the NTSC-U versions of the games. However, Mad Catz did release a gun that actually worked with all NTSC-U light gun games.

QFT :)
Return to Sega