SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
carslayer
16-bit

what are some good, cheap, easy to find saturn games

by carslayer Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:58 pm

hi everyone, tommorrow (if not, then the day after) i will be getting two of my first saturns with no games. i live in London, ontario and where i am they are pretty rare and i have never once seen a saturn or a saturn game, so ebay is my only choice now.

what are some good, cheap and not so rare saturn titles that might be at least mildly entertaining??
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:02 pm

I'm planning on doing an article on this soon, but here's a start:

Nights Into Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Panzer Dragoon
Sega Rally Championship
Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter 2

These are for US games, but I'm assuming they are also cheap in the UK
carslayer
16-bit

by carslayer Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:06 pm

i didnt know panzer dragoon was cheap. i though it was one of the more expensive games.

oh, and im in ontario Canada, not the UK. London is near Ottowa and Toronto. I remember reading somewhere that 10 million saturns were sold, which is the same number of dreamcasts. and so i wondered why it was so easy to find a dreamcast but impossible to find a saturn untill i found out that only 1.4 million of those saturns were in north america. they are pretty hard to get in canada.

thanks
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:02 am

Dood we got PD from cash converters for 1$ inbox and all.
scott21
16-bit

by scott21 Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:05 am

you could add virtua cop and sega rally to that list, they're classics in my book.

panzer dragoon usually goes for $15-20 depending on the bidders, but with ebay you're usually paying a premium price for most things.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:45 am

carslayer wrote:i didnt know panzer dragoon was cheap. i though it was one of the more expensive games.

oh, and im in ontario Canada, not the UK. London is near Ottowa and Toronto. I remember reading somewhere that 10 million saturns were sold, which is the same number of dreamcasts. and so i wondered why it was so easy to find a dreamcast but impossible to find a saturn untill i found out that only 1.4 million of those saturns were in north america. they are pretty hard to get in canada.

thanks

LOL -- I didn't see the Ontario part of your sentence :)
Anyway, the first couple Panzer Dragoons shouldn't be too expensive, but Panzer Dragoon Saga definately will be.
carslayer
16-bit

by carslayer Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:17 pm

thats right, it was panzer dragoon saga that i saw was expensive. whats the difference between those and panzer dragoon and panzer dragoon zwei?

also, are there any metal slug or king of fighters or street fighter games on the saturn? im a big fan of SNK's stuff and 2D fighting games.

anyways, i got the saturns today, a model one (oval buttons) and a model two ( round buttons) with two official original controllers, two power supplies and just one video cable. the model one is an ex-blockbuster rental system covered in stickers and numbers permanent markered on (dammit) and it's in horrible condinition and doesnt work. I'll be trying to fix it later, but i did manage to get the model two in great shape and with two EA sports titles (NHL and football). while im not a big fan of sports games these should keep me entertained untill i order darkstalkers or NiGHTS or Panzer Dragoon or something.
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:24 pm

carslayer wrote:thats right, it was panzer dragoon saga that i saw was expensive. whats the difference between those and panzer dragoon and panzer dragoon zwei?

also, are there any metal slug or king of fighters or street fighter games on the saturn? im a big fan of SNK's stuff and 2D fighting games.

anyways, i got the saturns today, a model one (oval buttons) and a model two ( round buttons) with two official original controllers, two power supplies and just one video cable. the model one is an ex-blockbuster rental system covered in stickers and numbers permanent markered on (dammit) and it's in horrible condinition and doesnt work. I'll be trying to fix it later, but i did manage to get the model two in great shape and with two EA sports titles (NHL and football). while im not a big fan of sports games these should keep me entertained untill i order darkstalkers or NiGHTS or Panzer Dragoon or something.

Theres a site that sells Saturn shells, tho I dont know which Version shells.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:28 pm

carslayer wrote:thats right, it was panzer dragoon saga that i saw was expensive. whats the difference between those and panzer dragoon and panzer dragoon zwei?

Ok here's your hookup...
First read this:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/06/ ... aturn.html
It will include the answer to your Panzer Dragoon question in addition to some other recommendations.

There is one Metal Slug game availible and here is the list of fighting games (the Saturn is one of the best fighting machines):
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/05/ ... brary.html
sv650touring
16-bit

by sv650touring Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:28 pm

I agree 100% with racketboy's list, and I have a few things to add.

Daytona/Virtua Fighter 2/Virtua Cop all came as pack-ins, so should be just about free. Hell, I've got a few copies (originals) lying around, and if you want to pay shipping, I'll mail some to you. VF2 is a great fighting game, no doubt. I got it with the Saturn and played it WAY more than all the other fighters I have - 2D & 3D COMBINED - and I nearly have them all. It is awesome.

If fighters isn't your thing, and you want a game that is very Saturny, you HAVE TO get Panzer Dragoon, or better yet PD 2 (Zwei). Zwei was the first game I ever saw on the Saturn, and I bought the system based on it (I think the guy wanted a PS2 or some such). It is seriously cool and fun, and UNIQUE.

Christmas Nights is my favorite, and while US the price never gets THAT cheap, the Japanese version is always cheap. Item 110040277273 on eBay is $11, shipped Priority Mail. The only difference I can tell is the awful english voice during the stupid movie. You are better off just not understanding it in Japanese. And if you don't play imports on the Saturn, you are missing out on most of the best stuff. Gotta have the 3D Controller and a region changer of some kind (patch, switch, or cartridge).

Sega Rally, common, cheap and great. And hard.

I think Puzzle Bobble is cheap, but I am not sure. It rules.

Of course, I would recommend modding. It is so easy, and lets you try any games you may want to buy. I'm glad I tried the US Christmas NiGHTS before buying, cuz I loved the JAP version and thought I'd like the US, but it would NOT have been worth it. The JAP version even comes in MUCH cooler packaging.

If you must have cheap originals, the same old games tend to be bundled together on eBay, often with hardware. Everybody has them by now, but some of them are actually good.
Return to Sega