SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Space Paranoids
8-bit

Saturn Controllers to Fill Multitap

by Space Paranoids Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:07 pm

I just bought Saturn Bomberman and a 6-player adapter for my Saturn, but I only have two controllers. What would be a cost-effective way to fill up my empty slots? I've seen lots of "Superpad 8" controllers on eBay for cheap, are these decent enough controllers to hold up in multiplayer use?
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:55 am

I don't really like the Super8 controllers. They kinda suck.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Space Paranoids
8-bit

by Space Paranoids Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:21 am

Hmm... I'm seeing Superpad 8, ST Propad, Eclipse Pad, and Explorer as cheap third-party stuff on eBay. Are any of these any good?
And by the way, how does the Analog controller for NiGHTS do when playing games on its D-Pad?
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:24 pm

Do they have any pictures of those pads? The Eclipse pad is comfey but the couple I have have a really high rate of failure. The Nights pad is better than the dreamcast or PS pad, but that doesn't say a whole lot. Better than a lot of the 3rd party pads, I guess. Check playasia or liksang and see what they have.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Space Paranoids
8-bit

by Space Paranoids Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Well, playasia is pretty much sold out, but liksang has a lot of the third-party stuff for a lot cheaper than eBay.
The "Explorer" pad has one of the weirder designs I've seen:
The Propad looks like this:
Liksang has the Eclipse pad, Superpad 8, Propad, Honeybee pad, and the Eclipse stick for just a couple bucks.
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:28 pm

Dood I kid you not. I just picked up 4 Sega 2 version controllers from a thrift store for 3.00 a piece. theyve got some scratching on it but other than that they work fine. You sir need to scour those thrift stores.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Cerulean wrote:Dood I kid you not. I just picked up 4 Sega 2 version controllers from a thrift store for 3.00 a piece. theyve got some scratching on it but other than that they work fine. You sir need to scour those thrift stores.

Most of us aren't quite that lucky.
I've never seen Saturn stuff at thrift stores.
I'm lucky to find Genesis stuff.
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:08 pm

racketboy wrote:
Cerulean wrote:Dood I kid you not. I just picked up 4 Sega 2 version controllers from a thrift store for 3.00 a piece. theyve got some scratching on it but other than that they work fine. You sir need to scour those thrift stores.

Most of us aren't quite that lucky.
I've never seen Saturn stuff at thrift stores.
I'm lucky to find Genesis stuff.

Yeah we usually find rare stuff there. I also picked up a complete power glove(nes) that day too. sometimes they have SNES stuff too. And me and my bro know that this means that they have the actual systems in there piles of old stuff. Like V2 Saturns and possibly a V2 NES.
Space Paranoids
8-bit

by Space Paranoids Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:58 pm

Lucky! I guess I'd better get to a flea market sometime. Flea markets seem to be the one place where you can find legendary treasures for ridiculously cheap. But yeah, I'll probably check GameCrazy and retro gaming shops around, occasionally they'll have something interesting. I picked up a copy of Virtua Fighter 2 for 2 bucks there once.
Anyway, thanks for the advice all.
scott21
16-bit

by scott21 Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:13 am

It's cheap advertising, but i've got 2 model 2 controllers up on ebay if you're interested -> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0041593406

Just an option i suppose.
Return to Sega