Is it worth picking up a Sega Saturn?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
christoph
Next-Gen

Re: Is it worth picking up a Sega Saturn?

Post by christoph »

Last edited by christoph on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le_Mons
32-bit

Post by Le_Mons »

christoph wrote:thanks for the info guys. Saturn sounds pretty epic. So the only way to play burned games on your saturn is if you install a modchip right? Or is there a cart that would allow you to do so?

Back when I had a Saturn I used to play a CDR of Radiant Silvergun with the good ol' disc swap trick.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2005/03/ ... trick.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/04/ ... trick.html

Once you do it a few times you can do it pretty much every time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My Trade / Want list - always updating!
Briomoto
8-bit

Post by Briomoto »

I don't know anything about Saturn mod chips (the only console I've ever had modded is my DC). But yeah, the console has an internal battery that has very limited space and doesn't last forever. Luckily, it's just a lithium "coin" battery that's very easy and cheap to replace. And because you're not going to get much save space from it (as MrPopo pointed out), I'd also recommend getting a memory cart. Make sure it's the first party one, though. Some of the others, like the Interact Memory Card Plus, are very unstable (they don't work a lot of the time) and can even end up damaging the console because they're slightly wider than the port itself.

As for the controller, you can forget about the original American one immediately (I think it was the "Mark I"). It's a complete piece of crap. It's a very uncomfortable controller with a very flimsy D-pad and shoulder buttons. So if you can, definitely get the re-release (Japanese original). I think it's the best controller Sega ever made.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Le_Mons wrote:
christoph wrote:thanks for the info guys. Saturn sounds pretty epic. So the only way to play burned games on your saturn is if you install a modchip right? Or is there a cart that would allow you to do so?

Back when I had a Saturn I used to play a CDR of Radiant Silvergun with the good ol' disc swap trick.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2005/03/ ... trick.html
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/04/ ... trick.html

Once you do it a few times you can do it pretty much every time.

I'm not a big fan of the swap trick, as every time I perform it I worry that I'm making my Saturn's life that much shorter. So I'd recommend the mod chip.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

Last edited by christoph on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeonik Freak
64-bit

Post by Zeonik Freak »

Anubis wrote:Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

But....

Mod it. I bought a Saturn specifically to mod it and I don't regret it at all. It's easily become one of my favorite systems. There are so many great games for it. Hell, the panzer dragoon series is worth it alone.

Get the Panzer Dragoon series ( if you find Saga, get it), Working Designs games, and anything done by Sonic Team is well worth it. Ive had mine since 06, im so glad i got it, best 40 bucks ever!!!...
riseup
8-bit

Post by riseup »

No offense bro but this is a pretty stupid thread. I mean pick it up and try it, or don't. No body here can tell what you'll enjoy, and it's not like there's a huge investment required, like arcade machines or retro computers.

But I can tell you from experience, don't buy a Turbo Grafx 16. Save up for the SuperCD add-on or TurboDuo. It's a lot more expensive, especially if you have to buy the system card to upgrade the bios or whatever but the base console is practically worthless. most of the games suck and it doesn't allow you to download anything straight from the web. This is important because all the good games cost a bloody fortune, and you don't even know whats good without first trying it out. Sure you can use emulators but then whats the point of buying the system in the first place? Bragging rights? I guess you can buy flash memory gear from China, but remember, the best games such as Prince of Persia (which is a better version than Dos, or even Sega CD) are only for the CD. Long story short don't buy one unless you already have other better consoles and you have a small fortune to spend for [mostly] lousy platform games.

I love the Turbo but hate the games. Know what I mean :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I started reading your post and your claim that the Turbo sucks because you can't download stuff from the internet onto it, then read a bit further and you meant that you can download and burn Turbo CD games. I was about to tear you a new one for complaining that consoles from the early 90's don't have DLC. :mrgreen:
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
omer
16-bit

Post by omer »

All i can say is a Mod Chip in a Saturn is the ULTIMATE arcade console to own. Let me emphasize the fact that no other console can match the hardware that the Saturn has for 2-D games. I have SEGA Licensed Memory Card (US) and 4MB RAM Cartridge (JP). And with a Modchip i enjoy the full experience that the Saturn puts out.

Saturn is also an amazing in the 3-D department. However, due to difficulty in programming for multi processors meant that it was difficult for most game developers to tap into the TRUE potential of the Saturn. Only a few skillful programmers knew how to fully take advantage of the Saturn's true complex nature.

Radiant Silvergun is a perfect example of a game that uses the Saturn's full capabilities. I've always wondered if a PSX port of Radiant Silvergun could be possible...I doubt it. I could be wrong, but the main reason why I say is because there are just way too many sprite models (explosions, enemy fire, etc) on screen for the PS1 to handle.

My opinion is get a Saturn.