Is it worth picking up a Sega Saturn?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mista057

Re: Is it worth picking up a Sega Saturn?

Post by mista057 »

It is totally worth picking up a Saturn. I am on number 3 myself and am still kicking my self for selling off my first. You can get all the games on an emulater if you want, but it is a special feeling to play them on the original machine. I would suggest only getting some of the super expensive games on an emulator unless you love them as much as I do, otherwise you can play them that way. For a true retro lover you have to have the orginal, and it is totally worth it. To all the naysayers of emulation I can say it gives me the opportunity to play games I may have passed up, and later purchased to add to my collection. I do wish the original minds behind these games would get a peice of the money when I do. I would have to say buy the saturn and pick up some of the games that have been forgoten yet are still games worth playing today.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I think in this particular case it boils down to something simple - if you wanted to have it back then, I really think you should get one now.

It is a special feeling to get something you always wanted to get, or do something you always wanted to do (e.g. play Nights) - sure it won't be the same playing the "outdated" games as it would be playing them back then; you may not even play the thing at all. But you have it now, just like you wanted (you can then proceed to sell it, particularly if you don't like the games, even at a financial loss, I think it would still be worth it).

Ivo.
johnnydoyle123
24-bit

Post by johnnydoyle123 »

yes yes yes

if anything pick up a modified one then you have the glory of playing a golden array of games :)
pal , ntsc , ntsc-j

alot of incredible games out there a cracking good system all those long hours spent blasting my way threw hordes of the undead and legions of disfigured ghouls in house of the dead only to die at the last boss :cry:
you could also master the fine art of guardian heroes :)

regards john

modified consoles www.consolepassion.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/ajgamesinsider
currently collecting : pc engine / nec consoles and games
specializing in rare games ,,,,, and weird stuff no ones hear off
PepsimanVsJoe
8-bit

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

Tough call really. These days even the prices for imports are going up(Used to be you could get Guardian Heroes JPN for less than $20 now it's around $50) and honestly I wouldn't be caught dead paying over $100 for a single game(which is about where 70% of the Saturn's 2D shooter library is at these days).

You're probably better off just buying whatever interests you. If you spend all your money on Radiant Silvergun/Panzer Saga/Other $100+ game you're going to deny yourself a very robust and unique library(especially if you have a import-capable console). Luckily unless something completely crazy happens(like a random dude finds a warehouse completely stocked with Radiant Silverguns) you won't have to worry about prices for any of these games falling, so if you do purchase them you can always sell them off after a time and possibly even make a profit.

I own a JP model 1 console myself. Aside from having terrible battery life(which is odd because I owned another saturn that died before the battery ever did) it's a favorite of mine. Considering what I've bought and sold I must have gone through close to a hundred games(I have about 40 right now, 22 JP and 18 US. I usually buy JP because they're cheaper and even the Japanese-heaviest versions can be FAQed through)

Actually strike that I own 41. I forgot I have the big box version of Advanced Variable Geo(which I regret buying because it's the most embarrasing thing I own).
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

Last edited by christoph on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

If you're interested in doing all that, I'd suggest a Model 2. The Model 2 is considerably easier to mod to play burned games and games from any region, whereas modding the Model 1 is generally a hit-or-miss affair. Also, region shouldn't really matter if you plan on modding anyway, so US is probably a better choice if only because they're easier to find.
Briomoto
8-bit

Post by Briomoto »

The Saturn is an amazing console with plenty of great games but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Dreamcast. If money is at all a concern, it will go a lot further with the DC. Having many of the Saturn's best games typically cost $75+ a pop. NiGHTS, Sega Rally, VF2, Virtua Cop 2, Die Hard Arcade, Virtual On, etc. are all pretty cheap but everything else will cost you. By contrast, a vast majority of the DC's best games are much more affordable. Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Grandia II, Toy Commander, Soul Calibur, Rayman 2, RE Code: Veronica, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis/2K2...none of these fantastic games are going to break the bank. Ikaruga, MvC2, Power Stone 2, SFIII: 3rd Strike, Rez and Shenmue II are the only A-list games I can think of that you'll have to shell out more than $25 for. Now, I guess if you plan on burning everything, then price wouldn't matter. In that case I'd recommend getting both consoles.
christoph
Next-Gen

Post by christoph »

Last edited by christoph on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Functionally, there won't be a difference between a modded US or Japanese Saturn, at least to my knowledge. I believe Japanese Saturns are a different color(gray instead of black), but I may be wrong.

As for controllers, most people I know suggest Model 2 controllers. Model 1s have some issues with the shoulder buttons and D-pad, and the thing feels a bit too beefy in one's hands.

As far as RAM carts, some games require the extra memory for textures or other game-related content. Saturns save to the console, but RAM carts are portable, so if you were to visit a friend with a Saturn, you could share saves. And then there's the Action Replays, which allow you to save to the cart, allow the uber textures, include built-in cheat codes(if you're into that), and will let you play any region's worth of games on your machine, without the need for mods. Since I've got a Model 1, it's what I use, though I don't know if it will let me play burns.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So in internet lingo there are two carts for the Saturn that aren't cheat devices. There is the memory cart, which serves as the Saturn version of the Memory card. The Saturn only has limited on-board memory and some games, such as Dragon Force, can take up over half the on-board.

The second kind is the RAM cart. As I recall this comes in 1 MB and 4 MB varieties, and they are used to improve the performance of the Saturn for games that use them. It's functionally identical to the N64 expansion pack. It only helps out games that are programmed to take advantage of the extra RAM, which are primarily 2D fighters.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.