SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
superlarz
128-bit

Re: Is it worth picking up a Sega Saturn?

by superlarz Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:51 pm

I am going to against the grain, and say get a Saturn.

I like you, wanted one so bad when I was younger and never got one.
Finally about 7 or 8 months ago I got a Saturn. Its better than I imagined. Maybe the Dreamcast is most cost effective... but seriously. Getting a Saturn was like living one of my childhood dreams. If you really wanted a Saturn when you were younger, and never got one.. Do yourself a favor and pick up a Saturn. Modded or otherwise. There is plenty of reasonable priced games to keep you busy until you save up for the heavy hitters. If you mod it, backups and imports will keep your wallet full. I have an unmodded model 1 Saturn, and still have a backlog of "cheap" games I am playing though. There is plenty there. It is more difficult to find bargains for, but that makes finding them all the more special.

GET A SATURN!
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Based on what you (Daking) wrote, I think you would do best to go for the Saturn (and mod it, if possible). It will have more nostalgia value because you wanted one when you were young, and I'm pretty certain that will count.

You would very likely be satisfied with the Dreamcast as well (and they are rather cheap, so try to get one after getting the Saturn, when you can), so there isn't a wrong "option" - both options are good, it is just that I think that for you - from the little we know - the best option is the Saturn.

Ivo.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Okay, here's the thing... burning these games hurts NO ONE. The developers who made these games can no longer make any profit on these games, because they're not offering them on any other medium - they're all used at this point, anyway. So there's no shame in modding a Sega Saturn to get all the best games. The Sega Dreamcast is similar, only you're gonna have to actually buy a handful of the best games, because they don't fit onto a CD-R (Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue II, Grandia II, Sonic Adventure 2).

That said, if you have some inhibition against burning, the fine people here have listed many of the essential cheaper Saturn games.

Anyway, if you're alright with modding, here's a list of some essential releases; I'm sure someone will add the bulk of the shmups and 2D fighters (I'm not a very reliable source when it comes to those games) I've missed if you ask:

NiGHTS into Dreams...
Christmas NiGHTS
Panzer Dragoon Series
Guardian Heroes
Shining Force III
Burning Rangers
Radiant Silvergun
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Saturn Bomberman
The Legend of Oasis
Albert Odyssey
Astal
Sega Rally
Clockwork Knight 2
Die Hard Arcade
Dark Savior
Galactic Attack
Darius Gaiden
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Three Dirty Dwarves
Virtual ON
Mr. Bones
Rayman
Daytona USA: CCE
Baku Baku

All of those except Radiant Silvergun were NA releases, but that list, even excluding RS would cost you ~$500.

So yes, I definitely recommend modding a Saturn. I can help you out with the better Dreamcast games you can buy authentically for good prices.

I'd recommend burning or emulating before you buy, anyway.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Buy a Model 2 US Saturn, and a modchip. I have a nice Saturn setup like that; it's a fantastic system, with plenty of great games.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
the King
Next-Gen

by the King Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 am

I have one with 7 games and two controllers(standard and analog) that I'm thinking about selling. PM me if your interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 am

lisalover1 wrote:Buy a Model 2 US Saturn, and a modchip. I have a nice Saturn setup like that; it's a fantastic system, with plenty of great games.

That is true, but neither of those two are easy to find for a good price.
I have a model 1 Saturn, and would pick up a modded model 2 in a heartbeat if the cost was not so high.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
crux
128-bit

by crux Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:07 am

Original_Name wrote:Okay, here's the thing... burning these games hurts NO ONE. The developers who made these games can no longer make any profit on these games, because they're not offering them on any other medium - they're all used at this point, anyway.

I get really tired of hearing this specific justification. I have no problems with those that pirate older mediums - they can do what they'll do. But to say that pirating DOESN'T have an impact on anyone is a ridiculous fallacy. If you want to say that it doesn't affect the developers, that's a different argument (and a hard one to verify one way or the other; who knows what the spending habits of gamers are when they've already played a pirated version of a game, should that same game be rereleased later on the VC, for example). But to pretend that a used game market doesn't exist or that that market is undeserving of your or his money because it comes from a medium that can be copied - such a insinuation is nothing more than a shallow justification. Are we willing to say that OUR used games should be rendered worthless because every gamer has the supposed right of piracy? Or is used gaming nothing more than a market for collectors?
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:18 pm

I don't see why it shouldn't be a market for collectors. Unless something is on the VC (as no Saturn game is), I don't see how anyone has the right to demand money for the game. The people who did all the work of developing and publishing the game can no longer make any profit off of it, so long as they're not selling the game. Why does someone who bought the game years ago have more right to demand that someone pay $200 dollars for the game he spent $50 on than another has the right to access a video game of which those who actually made the game cannot collect profit for.

Now, if Sega Saturn games were on the Virtual Console or something similar, rest assured, I would insist he purchase them there, as that is the just thing to do. In fact, I'd say it's much more just to pay $8 for, say, Alien Soldier on the Virtual Console to go directly to the game's original developers than it is to pay some schmuck upwards of $100 for it.

It's just not worth it, especially since the money isn't even going to those who deserve it. All this "collectible" hoarding crap is exactly what lead to the downfall of the comics industry, so I suggest you be more careful before defending a person's supposed right to charge five times what he paid for a video game.

--EDIT--

If you'd like to continue this, we should do it through PM's. No reason to ruin this poor guy's topic over something like this.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:38 am

Without being too confrontational about the topic of piracy, I would just like to add a couple of points that are not usually considered in those discussions (and was alluded to by Crux):

1. The person that pirates the game may be time-constrained in terms of free time, and having a pirated game to play may lead them to not buy a new game; if this happens, you can certainly say the piracy is having a negative impact on developers (not necessarily the ones that made the game that was pirated, and there are several caveats - had he not pirated the game, he might instead play some freeware game, or may not play at all, there is no guarantee that he would buy a new game).

2. The game may not be available in VC or a re-release right now, but may become available later, and after playing a pirated copy the person may not buy the "new" release, even if the same person wouldn't have pirated the game had it been already available. Conversely, there is the possibility that a person that pirates a game (say, "Ikaruga") may be inclined to reward the devs by buying the re-release, when he may not have taken the plunge had he not discovered how good the game is by playing first "for free".

3. About the used games market a) if people are paying more than what the game was originally priced at retail, then the seller would need to have a special reason to only ask for less than the going price. This isn't a question of the seller being entitled to "profit" on the game, but a question of supply and demand.
b) Similarly to 1., there is the possibility that the seller of the used game is going to buy new games with the money he gets from selling his used games. In that case you can certainly say the piracy is having a negative impact on developers (once again, not necessarily the ones that made the pirated game, but in this case perhaps more likely as the used game seller has a history of buying games made by those devs; someone that sells a used, collector copy of Ikaruga may get the cheaper Xbox live Ikaruga, and may get other shooters that come from Treasure).

Ivo.
silverback
24-bit

by silverback Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 pm

I was desperate for a saturn, I had 3 dreamcasts, 5 game gears, 3 megadrives, 2 master systems and the saturn is the one I never had.

Bought one fully boxed, video card, 2 controllers etc, £15, bargain I thought.

Bought games for it, supposedly great games.

Played it, tried to liek the games, really tried to love the console. Couldn't it was for want of a better word, crap.

I found myself thinking the PS1 is a much better console, similar ghames were done a lot better on the PS1.

If you want an excellent system, with some amazing games and something you can have real fun and thrills playing, get a dreamcast.

As a collector I have one, probably won't buy another unless it has soem game thats rare with it. Speaking of which I don't even bother looking for games for it now.
Own: Spectrum 48k x2, Amiga 500, NES, SNES, Gameboy Color x 3, Gameboy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Master System II x 2, GameGear x 4, Megadrive x 2, Saturn, Dreamcast x 3, Playstation x 3, PSP 2003, PS2 Slimline, PS3 Slimline 160GB, Xbox, Xbox 360 Elite
Return to Sega