My Dreamcast won't load disks

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
carslayer
16-bit

My Dreamcast won't load disks

Post by carslayer »

well, i bought a dreamcast recently from a pawnshop that came with two controllers, a VMU, and all the cables and such for just $40 tax inc. which is a pretty good deal considering dreamcast are pretty hard to find in London, Ontario. So the games are glitchy and usually crash, and it's filthy (outside and inside (cathairs on the lens)) so i take it apart and clean it. i thought i knew what i was doing because i have repaired an xbox and modded and fixed PS2s before, but when i put it back together (I WAS SURE I DID EVERYTHING CORRECTLY), it played one game, the crashed. now, when i turn it back on, it will go to the dreamcast logo, then the SEGA logo, then go into the menu. discs wont load. also, it won't play audio CDs and Copied games.

I'm not in a rush to fix it because i bought it as a spare dreamcast, after reading how unreliable they can be, and now i just wanna get it working again.

any suggestions on how to repair it?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Did it work before you took it apart?
Are you able to get a refund?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Sounds like the lens is indeed in terrible shape. If it's a replacement DC, then just remember that the lens, or entire gd-rom is bad, but all the other parts are good. I keep a spare DC that has a stubborn gd-rom, but I know the rest of the parts are usuable, should I need to swap them out.
carslayer
16-bit

Post by carslayer »

well the guy sold it to me as-is, and won't give arefund, but to me the controllers and VMU were worth the money i spent. I wasn't planning on using it as parts, i really just wanted to fix it and keep it as a backup, and maybe my sister would use it once in a while. I didn't work properly before i took it apart, as i said before it crashed and someitimes wouldn't load disks at all. so i guess i must have done something that made it decide to stop working completely fter cleaning it.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

well that doesn´t sound good..wtf is "as is" did you get to try it out before buying it ?
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

arion wrote:well that doesn´t sound good..wtf is "as is" ?

As is = What you see is what you get.