SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Grandia Saturn Translation Patch?

by lisalover1 Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:01 pm

I was wondering if there is an English translation patch for the Saturn version of Grandia. Does one exist? This seems like a really good idea if there isn't one already.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Re: Grandia Saturn Translation Patch?

by dlmvii Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm

It seems like that would be a lot of work for someone to undertake when there's the exact same game (maybe some differences because of the different hardware?) in english on the playstation.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Yes, but I'm sure the devoted Saturn fans of the USA wouldn't stand to see one of the system's best RPG's as a PS1 exclusive in their region. So, does a patch exist? It would be relatively easy to rip the PS1 translation and voices to put them into the Saturn version.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Changing text from Japanese to English is much harder than simply the translation work. Especially for fan translations, where they have to do assembly hacking. When Atlus USA translates a title they get the original source to modify as needed and it still is a fair amount of work.

Check out the Mother 3 Fan Translation Blog. If you look through the old entries you can see all the problems they ran into when translating from Japanese to English.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 pm

The Playstation version changed some of the text (not a good translation) and the voices are horrible. Playing the Saturn version with the original Japanese voices and a better translation would be a very nice.

That said, yeah, extracting entire scripts, translating them, and re-inserting them requires coders and translators and it may be hard to get a team together to do this given the inferior PSX version exists.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:53 pm

I agree that it would be a lot of work, but it would be a lot easier to take the PSX version's text and put it into the Saturn's version. That would be relatively easy. You wouldn't need a translator; probably only one or two programmers could do it alone. If I knew anything about Saturn coding, I would start the project in an instant! But, since I don't, that's probably not a fair thing to say.

That being said, does anybody know where I can find some tutorials on Saturn coding? I'm willing to learn.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Shining Force Central might have some links to Saturn resources, as they've been working on the SF3 translation for a while.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 pm

romhacking.net also has lots of information on hacking/translating. They also have individuals who might be able to be recruited.

If you just copy the PSX text then you're still suffering a poor translation, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:39 am

marurun wrote:romhacking.net also has lots of information on hacking/translating. They also have individuals who might be able to be recruited.

If you just copy the PSX text then you're still suffering a poor translation, though.

It's not all about the translation though the Sega Saturn version of the game was also much better graphically.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm

msimplay wrote:
marurun wrote:romhacking.net also has lots of information on hacking/translating. They also have individuals who might be able to be recruited.

It's not all about the translation though the Sega Saturn version of the game was also much better graphically.

I would LOVE to see this happen, but I think the biggest problem will be getting people to do so much work for a translation that already exists on another platform.
Return to Sega