Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

Post by noiseredux »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Noise, I did not have the same frustrations you did on the final level. In spoilers let me know what trouble you had and maybe I could help you overcome the problems.

I really hated the whole thing with those purple orbs that you have to like launch from. I found those sections really annoying where you had to keep going from one orb to the next.

Also, in the 2nd level I just found that it was way too big and confusing with those little warp things, and TWICE I actually died by timing out which is kind of insane in a Sonic game.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Noise, I did not have the same frustrations you did on the final level. In spoilers let me know what trouble you had and maybe I could help you overcome the problems.

I really hated the whole thing with those purple orbs that you have to like launch from. I found those sections really annoying where you had to keep going from one orb to the next.

Also, in the 2nd level I just found that it was way too big and confusing with those little warp things, and TWICE I actually died by timing out which is kind of insane in a Sonic game.

I can understand the frustration. I had experience with these types of orbs in.... sonic CD I think? The key is to understand how to move with them. Want to go vertical? Press horizontally and vice versa, moving diagonally is mooch easier.

As for the second act, the level is divided up into different sections with one hub area. When you go through the purple lortal/haze you are teleported to a challenge section and it wants you to go a certain way to complete it, teleport you back to the hub and move on to the next challenge before the final boss. It can be very disorienting, I totally understand, but this level really wants you to slow it down a bit and use your brain.

I hope that helps in some way as it isn't entirely made clear.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it wasn't Sonic CD that those things were in. Possibly it was Sonic 3? I never cared for Sonic 3 all that much.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It was in the checkpoint bonus stages in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. There'd be a zone out thing approaching from the bottom and you had to climb and get shields and rings.

I got it on the Switch because it amuses me to play Sonic games on a Nintendo platform.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

MrPopo wrote:It was in the checkpoint bonus stages in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. There'd be a zone out thing approaching from the bottom and you had to climb and get shields and rings.

I got it on the Switch because it amuses me to play Sonic games on a Nintendo platform.

Nailed it... and I was super good at those so I guess that mechanic just clicks with me.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:I got it on the Switch because it amuses me to play Sonic games on a Nintendo platform.

reminds me of the time I went to the Nintendo Store in NYC and bought a Sonic Amiibo. I didn't even own any hardware that worked w/ Amiibos, but it was the same thing. I thought it was really funny to go to a Nintendo Store and buy something Sega.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I haven't beaten the game yet, but even right now I consider this the best Sonic game ever. The remixed classic stages are awesome, the new one's are fun, specials stages rock, and the bosses are cool. And the difficulty is just right.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Melek-Ric wrote:I haven't beaten the game yet, but even right now I consider this the best Sonic game ever. The remixed classic stages are awesome, the new one's are fun, specials stages rock, and the bosses are cool. And the difficulty is just right.

I can not argue that. There will be people who do have a claim to, "This is the best sonic ever," and even though the debate will be fortuitous, the claim isn't outrageous. I feel it is right up there with the greats and to be very fair, I do feel that the genesis titles are all around the same quality and to pick a, "best," is really getting into semantics... they are all great!

You bring up the difficulty and I agree that it feels just right. I never came across any cheap deaths and the boss fights ramp up in difficulty nicely. Near the end, they take patience and pattern recognition and it really pays off to use your brain and think. It is a genuinely fun game that got sonic right.

Quick question, how many of you use that new spin dash in the game? I always forget it is there, but it is really easy to pull off and actually makes things move very smoothly!

jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

Wild JINX appeared!

Just got the collectors edition myself after stumbling across it last night (literally. nearly tripped over it at Fry's). I have watched a few YouTube videos on it and I'm looking forward to playing it. I only played a little bit of Green Hill Zone before I had to put it away, but I like it so far, and I love the drop dash mechanic.

INSTAGRAM//newhalfjinx
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

jinx wrote:Wild JINX appeared!

Holy Hell! Quick! Someone throw a Master Ball before it escapes!

*Waves* Hi Jinx! Glad to see you!